Monday, October 3, 2011

Pawsing to remember my 4-legged pal

Making the decision to end the life of your 4 legged constant companion is about as easy as..well, it's not easy at all. The only consolation is that our little Lucas McPookus, one of his many names, is no longer suffering. He was also known as stupid dog, #*@% dog, puppy, old man, DOG (Kaylee)..and many more I'm sure. He was with us for 15 years, so the good times DID exceed the bad times..most of the time! He was loyal, unless the front door was left open, obedient unless he wasn't, a GREAT hunter..but not a GREAT giver-upper of the hunted-once-caught...and afraid of water and storms. He was Shelley's dog primarily, but he'd become my buddy once she went off to college and David worked all the live-long day. He had some pretty quirky ways..he would bump the bathroom door when I was in there, just enough to see me with one eye, and lay on the floor outside the bathroom, watching me, til I came out JUST IN CASE I was needing to go to the fridge and get him lunchmeat, which was his addiction. He hid under Shelley's bed when he heard keys jangling in case we were thinking about putting him out, he could find the hidden pill in the lunch meat, eat the meat, then spit the pill out. That took talent. Before his hips got bad and he could no longer go on walks, he would drag us along, sniffing at every bush and tree, with an endless supply of pee to share with the world. I'll never understand how he couldn't produce one drop at the vet's office, but could pee for a solid 40 minute walk the day before! Oh, and speaking of the vet..we always got to go in first, no matter what our appointment time, because Lucas liked to "talk" to all the other pets in the lobby. A Lot. Loudly. Non-stop. The staff knew him by bay. He loved people. Especially people that drop food while they eat. He was a prolific scavenger...wandering among the humans while they ate at pool parties or holiday gatherings. He became Kaylee's bestest friend, at least at snack time. He seemed to de-friend her when she was food-less. I'll post a picture of him watchfully waiting for the droppage. I'll think of more things to share about my friend, but right now, I just wanted to remember some things that made him who he was. He will be missed greatly, for a long time. I love you Lukie. Always.
Mom

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog, mom :)
    I remember how Lucas would always"greet" the school kids that were unfortunate enough to walk by our fence. He had so much fun startling them! I miss him.

    ReplyDelete